- 250 g chicken sausage
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- For serving
- 1 loaf rye bread, sliced
- For the coleslaw, combine:
- 1 small white cabbage, grated
- 1 small red cabbage, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 5 spring onions, sliced at a slant
- 2 T mayonnaise
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Push the chicken mince out of the sausage skins and place it in a bowl. Add ¼ cup breadcrumbs to the mixture, then season to taste and roll into small, evenly sized balls between your palms.
Chill until firm. Heat the oil in a pan until very hot. Coat each ball with more breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown. Spoon the coleslaw onto slices of rye bread and top with the warm chicken croquettes. Serve immediately.
Cook’s notes: You can also freeze the chicken balls and warm them up when needed. They’re great served with a good spoonful of mash and peas, or as a party snack, with a choice of dips on the side.
Jazz up a rye bread sandwich with moreish crumbed chicken balls and a fresh salad. These irresistible chicken morsels are also good served on their own, cold or warm.