- 300 g organic regular or whole-wheat penne rigate
- 30 g organic coriander leaves, washed, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 clove organic garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup organic olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 x 400 g cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 T organic tomato, olive and caper pasta sauce
- 100 g organic feta, crumbled, for serving
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain, reserving the cooking water.
Blend the coriander with the garlic, oil and a touch of seasoning. Turn into a large saucepan then heat with approximately 80ml (1⁄3 cup) of the reserved pasta water.
Add the chickpeas and organic tomato-olive-and-caper sauce, and heat through.
Roughly blend, using a hand-held blender, so that about half the chickpeas are puréed. Adjust the seasoning.
Mix with the hot pasta, adding a little more of the reserved water if it needs loosening.
Again, check seasoning then top with crumbled feta, a slick of olive oil and a sprinkling of coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Cook’s tip: If you’re after a more substantial dish, add thin slices of seared free-range lean lamb steaks tossed in organic olive oil, a squirt of organic balsamic vinegar, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Per serving: 3987.3kJ, 38.2g protein, 35.3g fat, 127.3g carbs
This sturdy sauce is super-nutritious with heaps of fresh organic coriander and low-GI organic chickpeas. Only a spoonful or two need be added to each serving, and, bottled, it is a good stand-by for adding to soups and stews.