- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 2 T organic olive oil
- 2 cloves organic garlic, chopped
- 2 x 400 g cans organic Italian chopped tomatoes
- 2 T organic Italian tomato paste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 400 g cans organic red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- organic Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated, for serving
- organic olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 cups organic vegetable or chicken stock
- 200 g organic fussilli, cooked
Gently soften the onion in the heated oil. Stir in the garlic. Add the tomato, with juice, tomato paste and a little seasoning.
Half cover then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans and stock. Simmer fairly briskly, half covered, for another 20 minutes.
Stir in the cooked pasta then check seasoning. If necessary, heat through. Serve sprinkled with Parmigiano Reggiano and drizzled with olive oil.
Cook’s tips: If a thinner soup is preferred, add a little more stock.
Try canned organic chickpeas or lentils instead of beans, and crumbled organic feta instead of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Substitute whole-wheat spaghetti, penne or linguine for fusilli.
Per serving: 1751.8kJ, 13.9g protein, 19g fat, 52.1g carbs
Fresh organic chicken and vegetable stocks form the basis of these robust one-pot winter soups and broths.