- For the vindaloo paste:
- 2 T chilli powder
- 4 T ground cumin
- 2 t ground ginger
- 2 T ground turmeric
- 2 T ground coriander
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 T black pepper
- 2 T hot mustard powder
- 2 t salt
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 3 T ghee
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 5 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 4 red chillies, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1.3 kg Woolworths beef oxtail
- 3 large sprigs curry leaves
- 2 t tamarind paste mixed with 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups beef stock
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 x 250g sachets Woolworths Heat and Eat white basmati rice, for serving
- cumin poppadums, for serving
1. To make the vindaloo paste, combine all the spices and the vinegar. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan, then add the spice mixture. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, continually scraping the sides of the pan so the spices don’t stick.
2. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Heat the ghee in a large saucepan. Add the onions and fry for 10 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger, chillies and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the oxtail and fry until caramelised. Add the curry paste and curry leaves and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and bake in the oven, covered, for 3 hours.
4. Prepare the rice and poppadoms according to package instructions and serve with the oxtail.
Cook’s note: Make extra paste and keep in the fridge for up to three weeks. Top with a layer of oil to seal it.