This is my take on deep-fried chicken – done on the braai. It’s a great weekday option. Make sure you keep a medium heat going otherwise the chicken won’t cook evenly.
- For the marinade, mix:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 T pickle juice
- 1 t onion salt
- white pepper, to taste
- 4 - 6 free-range chicken breasts
- For the ranch dressing, mix:
- 1 cup Woolworths double-thick plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 T dill, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heads Woolworths Crunchita lettuce
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 10 green olives, for serving
1. Marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours; overnight is better. Braai over a medium heat until cooked through, turning occasionally, it should take 6 minutes per side.
2. Slice the chicken into chunks and serve with the lettuce, cucumbers, olives and ranch dressing.
Photography: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom