This flavour-packed, budget bobotie is bulked up with lentils, to feed up to 8 people. Serve with a fresh smashed cucumber salad, with red onion, balsamic and coriander.
- 180 g dried lentils
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- small knob ginger, grated
- 3 x 400 g cans Lucky Star Pilchards
- 4 bay or lemon leaves
- 1 t mild curry powder
- 1 turmeric
- 2 T chutney, plus extra for serving
- 1 T apricot jam
- 2 T lemon juice
- 3 free-range eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 6-8 cups cooked rice, for serving
- For the smashed cucumber:
- 1 English cucumber, cut into chunks
- ½ red onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T Woolworths white balsamic condiment
- 15 g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. In a pot, cook the lentils according to package instructions.
3. Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in the oil over a low heat until soft and sweet. Add the pilchards, cooked lentils, 1 bay leaf, curry powder, turmeric, chutney, jam and lemon juice and simmer for 5–10 minutes. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and smooth the top.
4. Beat the eggs and milk together, then pour over the pilchards. Decorate with the remaining bay or lemon leaves and bake for 20–30 minutes, or until the topping has set.
5. To make the smashed cucumber, gently smash the cucumber using a rolling pin. Toss with the onion, olive oil, balsamic condiment and coriander. Serve the bobotie with the rice, smashed cucumber and extra chutney.