- 280 g flour
- 1 t bicarbonate of soda
- 220 g caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 t vanilla paste or extract
- 3 T canola oil
- 1 t coconut essence (optional)
- 1 x 432 g can crushed pineapple, drained
- 100 g pecans, chopped
- For the icing:
- 500 g cream cheese
- 100 g salted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 T vanilla paste
- 80 g desiccated coconut, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 22 cm bundt tin.
2. To make the cake, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a large bowl, then beat in the eggs, vanilla, oil and coconut essence. Fold in the pineapple and pecans. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
3. To make the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy using an electric mixer, then add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Once the cake has cooled, ice the cake or slice it and serve with dollops of icing.
Cook’s note: You'll find coconut essence at spice and baking shops. Use toasted or plain coconut for the icing, or use cream cheese and grated pineapple.