“So quick that it’s perfect for a last-minute dinner when loadshedding is about to strike.” – Khanya Mzongwana
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 Forelle pear, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 baby leeks, finely sliced
- 50 g butter
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 cup liquid chicken stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup cream
- For the cheese-and-jam toastie:
- 2 slices Woolworths crushed wheat sourdough bread
- 75 g white Cheddar, grated
- 30 g Woolworths onion marmalade
- 50 g butter
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the pear, potato, celery and leeks and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the veggies start to caramelise, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in the butter, garlic, thyme and oregano. Fry until fragrant, then add the stock and season. Simmer for 10–12 minutes, or until the potato and pear are cooked through. Stir in the cream, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
3. To make the sandwich, top 1 slice of bread with half the cheese, dollop with the onion marmalade, then top with the remaining cheese. Heat the butter in a non-stick pan, then toast the sandwich in the pan, about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve with the soup.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Ellah Maepa