- for the base:
- 700 g Woolworths Nicola potatoes, grated
- 3 T olive oil
- for the filling:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup cream, plus 2 T
- 50 g Gruyère, grated
- 2 T Woolworths horseradish cream
- 100 g Woolworths oak-smoked trout ribbons, shredded
- ground nutmeg, to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 21 cm quiche dish. Squeeze any excess liquid from the grated potato.
2. To make the base, heat the olive oil in an ovenproof pan and add the potato mixture. Press into the base and up the sides of the dish to form a tart casing, then cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until slightly golden and caramelised.
3. To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a separate pan and fry the fennel until golden brown. Combine the eggs, cream, Gruyère and horseradish cream, then add the fennel, trout and seasoning. Pour onto the base and bake for 30 minutes, or until set.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom