- 400 g rump steak, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100 g fresh white breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 t cumin seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 1 t coriander seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 2 T Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 T fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 t sea salt
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 250 g streaky bacon, fried until crispy
- 4 slices aged Cheddar
- Radicchio leaves, for serving
- 8 slices white farmhouse loaf, toasted
- Aïoli, for serving (see harissa chicken burger for aïoli recipe)
- Gherkins, for serving
- Potato chips, for serving
- For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 T Worcester sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60 g brown sugar
- 2 T water
Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a large mixing bowl, combine the steak, shallot, garlic, breadcrumbs, cumin and coriander seeds, paprika, parsley, fresh coriander, seasoning and egg. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into large patties. Chill for 30 minutes.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over a high heat. Fry the patties for 2 minutes on both sides until well browned. Transfer to a baking tray, and finish in the oven for 2 minutes.
To assemble each burger, layer some barbecue sauce, a patty, some bacon, slices of Cheddar and radicchio leaves on a slice of toasted bread. Top with a dollop of aïoli and another slice of bread. Serve with golden gherkins and potato chips.
To make the barbecue sauce, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and boil over a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy.
See our harissa chicken burgers with pineapple relish, aïoli and vegetable crisps for the aïoli recipe