- 2 T sunflower oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped celery sticks
- 1 finely chopped green or red pepper
- 2 cloves crushed
- 500 g free-range extra lean beef mince
- ½ cup organic tomato sauce
- 1 400g can tomato puree
- 1 T worcestershire sauce
- 1 T red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 T brown sugar
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 t hot English mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 rolls crusty French rolls
Gently cook the vegetables in the oil until soft but still pale. Stir in the garlic, then add the mince and increase the heat.
Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the mince, until the meat changes colour.
Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well. Reduce the heat, then simmer,uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the meat is tender. Season to taste.
Serve the mince spooned over the split rolls.
Use soft hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted on one side.
Add some baby gem lettuce leaves or coarsely shredded cos lettuce leaves and sliced red onion.
The mince is also good on big baked potatoes or with pasta.