- For the smoked eggs:
- 100 g white rice
- 10 teabags rooibos tea, removed from the bags (or 2 T loose-leaf rooibos tea)
- 4 free-range eggs
- ¼ head cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 t fine salt
- 2 T fish sauce
- 1 T ginger, finely grated
1. To make the smoked eggs, place the rice and the tea leaves in a deep ovenproof tray. Place an oven rack on top of the tray with the eggs on top, then cover tightly with foil. Place the tray on the stove over a low heat. Once the tea starts smoking, smoke the eggs for 20 minutes.
2. Smash the cabbage using a mortar and pestle, salting it to help break it down.
3. Cool the eggs in an ice bath, then peel and grate roughly.
4. Combine the remaining ingredients, toss with the cabbage and top with the smoked egg.
Cook’s tip: These eggs are great to do on the braai, and are also delicious in a potato salad.
Photography: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom