- 2 T canola oil
- 1 T butter
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 t garlic, crushed
- 1 t dill, chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 T flour
- 1.5 litres water or fish stock
- 3 cups milk
- 4 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 400 g smoked haddock, cubed
- 1/2 x 135 g punnet Woolworth baby corn, sliced into rings
- 100 g cauliflower, diced
- 100 g broccoli, diced
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. Sauté the onions until soft. Add the celery and cook over a medium heat until slightly browned. Add the garlic and dill and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and add the flour, stirring until well incorporated. Return to the heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually add the water or stock ensuring there are no lumps. Add half the milk and bring to the boil.
3 .Reduce the heat, then add the carrots and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the haddock, corn, cauliflower and broccoli and simmer over a low heat for a further 10–15 minutes until slightly soft.
5. Add the remaining milk. Sprinkle over the dill, parsley and spring onion before serving.
Cook’s note: Use half the milk for a thicker chowder.