- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 t butter
- 1 t flour
- 1 small free-range egg, beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the Moroccan-style raw carrot salad:
- 300 - 350 g organic carrots
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 T orange juice
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 t ground cumin
- Ground cinnamon, a pinch
- 4 T fresh coriander, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Coriander, to garnish
Rinse the soles, pat dry and season lightly.
Heat a little oil in a pan. Add a spoonful of butter – once it has melted the oil should be hot enough for frying. Dip the soles in the flour, then in the egg. Fry over a medium-high heat for a few minutes a side until golden brown and white and opaque inside.
To make the carrot salad, shred the carrots into ribbons. Make a dressing with the remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste. Toss with the carrots. Serve with the soles.
Cook's note: The fresh, citrusy salad complements the delicately flavoured fish.