- 1–2 cups gin (optional)
- ½ cup simple syrup (or 60 g caster sugar)
- 2 cups clear fruit juice (cranberry or mixed berry)
- 2 cups water
- 2 limes, washed and sliced
- fresh mint, to taste
- 1 cup red berries (sliced strawberries or raspberries)
- 1 bottle sparkling wine or Prosecco (you could use MCC but I feel our MCC is too good to hide in a punch)
In a large jug, or a punch bowl if you have one, combine the gin, simple syrup or sugar (stir until dissolved if you use the latter), juice, water and limes. Stir to combine, then add the mint and berries. Chill until the festivities are about to kick off – then add the sparkling wine to ensure maximum fizz and festivity.
Cook’s note: You’ll notice this recipe has no spice – that’s because the limes bring their own spicy character. And we followed our own advice to play around.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production Bianca: Strydom
Food assistant: Gail Damon