- For the steamed cabbage:
- 250 g small Mediterranean potatoes, thinly sliced
- sea salt, to taste
- A few sprigs dill, plus extra to garnish
- 1⁄2 Spitzkoppe cabbage, cut into wedges
- 250 g lightly smoked fresh rainbow trout , halved lengthways
- For the dressing, mix:
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Steam the potatoes with the salt and dill until very tender. Spoon onto 2 large plates.
Steam the cabbage and divide between the plates. Meanwhile, slowly fry the lightly oiled trout, skin side down, in a nonstick pan until the skin is very crisp. Don’t turn, rather keep the flesh moist.
Add to the plates. Spoon over the dressing and garnish with dill.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cook's note: The cabbage must be barely tender to make this dish successful.