- For the za’atar:
- 30 g fresh thyme
- 120 g sesame seeds
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 baby marrows, quartered
- 1 bunch celery, each stick cut into 6, leaves reserved
- 4 cloves garlic
- salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. To make the za’atar, place the thyme and sesame seeds on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
3. Place into a mortar and pestle and grind until fine, then add the sumac and grind again until fine.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the baby marrow and celery stalks and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Bash the celery leaves and garlic and add to the baby marrow. Season to taste. Serve as a side with roasts, grilled sausages or as a salad.
Cook's note: Serve the baby marrows as a starter or tossed with some giant pearl couscous as a main.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom