- 4 large carrots, halved lengthways
- 2 T butter
- 2 T brown sugar
- Lemon juice, a squeeze
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 t fresh turmeric, finely grated
- 1 t fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 sticks celery, washed and sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 bay leaves
- 250 g Woolworths ready-to-eat barley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the carrots on a baking tray, dot with butter and sprinkle over the sugar. Roast for 35 minutes, or until tender and caramelised.
Place the remaining ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the celery and onion are soft. Stir through the barley and simmer for 2 minutes.
Serve the barley broth with the glazed carrots. Season to taste.
Cook's note: A hearty, warming home-made broth full of flavour thanks to gratings of fresh turmeric and ginger, and a squeeze of lemon. You won’t stop at just one bowl.