- For the baked tofu:
- 1 x 297 g carton Woolworths firm tofu
- 1 T peanut oil
- 1 T soya sauce
- 1 T cornflour
- For the str fry:
- 2 T peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 x 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3–4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 T soya sauce, plus extra for serving
- 2 T sesame oil, plus extra for serving
- 2 T sesame seeds, toasted
- sea salt and white pepper, to taste
- steamed rice or Chinese noodles, for serving
Drain the tofu and cut into cubes. Place on kitchen paper and cover with another sheet of paper. Cover with a chopping board, then place something heavy on top to weigh it down. Leave for 20–30 minutes to get rid of excess moisture.
Moisten the cubed tofu with the oil and soya sauce. Add the cornflour and gently mix to coat evenly.
Spread out on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake at 200°C for 30 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and crisp.
Heat a wok or pan until medium hot, then add the peanut oil. Stir in the garlic and ginger, then add the spring onions and greens. Leave for a minute or two, then stir-fry over a high heat until wilted and tender-crisp.
Add the soya sauce and sesame oil and check the seasoning. Add more soya or a little salt if necessary, and a little white pepper. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and top
with the tofu. Serve on rice or noodles.
Cook's note: Baked tofu adds texture and protein to an easy stir-fry you’ll make again and again.