"I love strawberries and I love scones – it’s really as simple as that. I’ve taken advantage of strawberry season and sliced some into my granny’s fluffy scone recipe; enjoy with jam and soft butter." – Khanya Mzongwana
- 250 g cake flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 100 g butter
- 100 g strawberries, washed and hulled
- 100 g sugar
- ½ cup cream or buttermilk
- 2 large free-range eggs
View this post on Instagram
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Grate the cold butter into the mixing bowl.
3. Place 2 sheets of kitchen paper on a plate. Thinly slice the strawberries, carefully place on the kitchen paper and allow to stand for 5 minutes. This will ensure the scones aren’t soggy and remain light and fluffy. Remove the strawberry slices from the kitchen paper.
4. Whisk the sugar, buttermilk and 1 egg in a separate bowl. Pour into the dry ingredients along with the strawberries and mix gently until a soft dough forms. Careful not to overmix or you’ll end up with a tough, dense scone.
5. Gently pat out the dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 2 cm.
6. Using a well-floured round cookie cutter (or a glass) and cut out 8 scones. Place the scones on the baking sheet. Beat the remaining egg and brush onto the tops of the scones.
7. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with fresh strawberries, jam and mascarpone ¬– or whatever you want, really!
Videography: Romy Wilson
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Ellah Maepa