- 2 T olive oil
- 400 g Uncooked, shell-on large prawns
- 100 g chorizo sausage, sliced
- 200 g Pepperito seedless peppers, halved
- 1 red onion, diced
- 20 g Woolowrths Spanish paella seasoning
- ½ cup white rice
- 500 ml good quality stock
- 350 g seafood mix, frozen & thawed on day of cooking
- 50 g hand shelled fresh peas, blanched
1. Heat olive oil in a paella pan over medium heat. Pan-fry the sliced chorizo and whole prawns until golden, and remove from the pan.
2. Add the diced onion and cook in the flavoured oil until translucent. Add the halved red peppers and continue cooking for a few minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the stock to a simmer.
4. Add the Spanish paella seasoning and cook until fragrant. Pour in the rice stir through.
5. Pour in half the stock and allow the liquid to evaporate before adding more. Continue until rice is cooked. (Be careful not to stir the the rice too much, or the mix will become stodgy.)
6. When you’re halfway through the stock, add the seafood mix and stir.
7. Just before serving, add the chorizo slices, prawns, peas and a sprinkle of chopped Italian parsley.
8. For a big al fresco feast, serve your paella with toasted pita breads, a Greek salad, and sides of Woolies Mediterranean hummus, tzatziki topped with readymade dolmades and giant beans.
Cook's note: Summer is on our doorstep, and what could be more perfect for those lazy days than a delicious paella and a great big al fresco feast? Luckily, if you’re feeling in the mood for some Mediterranean eats, Woolworths has your back with their new Mediterranean range. For more about the new Mediterranean range at Woolies, go to woolworths.co.za.