- 3–4 large sweet potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 g fresh thyme
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 250 g Woolworths cubed bacon packet
- 1 x 200 g Woolworths Bothams Cremezola blue cheese
- 200 g Woolworths frozen petit-pois, blanched
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Cut the sweet potatoes into thin wedges, then microwave for 10 minutes to parcook.
2. Arrange the sweet potato in a preheated baking dish with the garlic and thyme, then drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice and season. Roast for 15 minutes, shaking the pan every 5 minutes.
3. While the potatoes are roasting, pan-fry the bacon until crispy and set aside. Turn the oven onto the grill setting, remove the potatoes from the oven and crumble over the cheese, scatter with the bacon and peas and pour over the bacon fat. Place under the grill for 5 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown.
COOK’S TIP: This salty, creamy, lemony dish has delicious bursts of sweetness from the peas. I like to make it the main event and serve it with cauliflower soup, pan-fried hake or sliced steak on the side.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen