- For the chicken and noodles:
- 400 g free-range chicken fillets, skinned
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 125 g thin rice noodles
- For the Thai cucumber pickle, mix together:
- 3 T sugar
- 1½ t salt
- 2/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 fresh chillies, finely chopped
- 12 spring or salad onions, finely chopped
- 1 crisp cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 small crisp lettuce, shredded, for serving
- coriander leaves, for serving
Trim the chicken if necessary and wash well. Bring the broth or stock to the boil. Add the chicken, cover and turn off the heat. Leave the chicken to cool in the broth, then remove and bring the broth to the boil again.
Snip the noodles into smaller, more manageable pieces and stir them into the boiling broth. Cover, turn off the heat and leave to cool.
Shred the chicken, using two forks, and mix with the noodles and cucumber pickle. Check seasoning.
Serve the salad on a base of shredded lettuce. Add some coriander leaves and pass around the limes.
Cook’s tip: Thinly sliced radishes or avocado can also be added to this meal.