- 1 x 80 g Woolworths red curry paste sachet
- 1 x 400 ml coconut cream can
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 600 g free-range chicken wings packs
- 100 g basmati rice, uncooked
- For the cucumber pickle:
- 1 Mediterranean cucumber
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 T caster sugar
- ½ t Maldon salt
- 2 green chillies, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C. In a large bowl, mix the curry paste and coconut cream and season. Toss the chicken wings in the mixture, then transfer to a large roasting tray lined with tin foil.
2. Roast for 20 minutes in a single layer – do not move them around while they cook. Finish under the grill for 5 minutes to caramelise.
3. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package instructions.
4. To make the pickle, halve the cucumber lengthways, scoop out the seeds and slice thinly. Mix the rice vinegar, caster sugar, salt and chillies. Add the cucumber and set aside.
5. To serve, place the roasting tray in the centre of the table, place the rice and the pickle in two separate bowls and serve.
COOK’S NOTE: Baking the wings in the coconut milk and Thai curry paste really allows the chicken fat and flavour to emulsify with the sauce, creating tender, fall-off the bone meat. For even better results, place the chicken wings in a bowl or large Ziploc bag and marinate in the fridge overnight. When you get home, all you have to do is bake the chicken and cook the rice. Look out for Woolworths’ ready-to-eat rice sachets for an even quicker meal.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen