- For the cake:
- 140 g flour
- 1 1⁄2 t baking powder
- 1⁄4 t salt
- 5 large free-range eggs, separated
- 200 g sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 t vanilla paste
- For the milk soak, mix:
- 1/2 can evaporated milk
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- For the topping:
- 1 cup cream
- 2 - 3 T icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 21 x 21 x 7 cm square cake tin. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Beat the egg yolks with 150 g sugar at a high speed until pale yellow. Fold in the milk and vanilla. Very gently fold into the flour mixture.
3. Beat the egg whites at a high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer on, pour in the remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold the egg whites into the cake batter until just combined so you don’t lose any air. Spoon into the cake tin and smooth the surface.
5. Bake for 35–45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn the cake out onto a plate and allow to cool. When cool, pierce the surface a few times using a wooden skewer, then evenly pour over the milk soak. Allow to absorb for 30 minutes.
6. Before serving, whip the cream until soft peaks form, then mix with the icing sugar until spreadable. Spread over the cake.