- 400 g brown mushrooms
- Canola oil, for deep-frying
- 140 g flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- 4-6 hamburger rolls, halved and toasted
- Hummus, to serve
- Lettuce, to serve
- Sliced Cheddar cheese, to serve
- Sliced gherkins, to serve
- Basil pesto, to serve
- Pickled onions, to serve
- Mayonnaise, to serve
- Woolworths nut-and-seed sprinkle, to serve
- For the stuffing, mix:
- 2 T cream cheese
- 3 T ricotta
- 2 T basil pesto
- 1 cup Gouda, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Stuff the mushrooms with the cheese mixture, making sure you fill them well.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, the ideal temperature is 180C. Coat each mushroom patty in the seasoned flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Double-coat if you want a larger, crispier patty.
3. Deep-fry the patties until golden brown, then drain on kitchen paper.
4. To assemble the burgers, start with the base of the buns. Spread with hummus, add the lettuce, mushroom patty, cheese, gherkins, basil pesto and pickled onions. Spread the tops of the buns with mayonnaise and place on top. Sprinkle with the nut-and-seed sprinkle.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail