- 8 slices bread
- 3 T butter, softened
- 3 T good-quality mayonnaise
- 150 g Woolworths mozzarella slices
- 100 g Boerenkaas, grated
- 70 g Emmenthal or Cheddar, grated
- For the smoortjie:
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 T chutney
1. To make the smoortjie, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat until soft and golden. Add the tomatoes and chutney and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Lay the bread on a board. Mix the butter and mayo and spread onto one side of the bread, then turn over.
3. Layer the cheese and smoortjie on the unbuttered side of the bread, then top with remaining slices to make sandwiches.
4. Place the sandwiches in a hinged braai grid and cook over low coals, turning often. Alternatively, cook in a griddle pan on the stove.
Cook's note: Use any bread you like for this recipe.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-ismail
Food Assistants: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen
And Ellen Schwerdtfeger