- For the jammy blueberries and onions:
- 4 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- a few sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 T honey
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 360 g punnet Woolworths Flavourburst blueberries
- For the quiche:
- 1 sheet Woolworths frozen all-butter puff pastry, thawed
- 6 baby leeks, sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 cup cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g Woolworths aged Cheddar, grated
- 100 g Woolworths Cremezola, crumbled
- 100 g Ementhaler, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the jammy blueberries and onions, place all the ingredients in a roasting pan, toss and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Line the pastry. Prick with a fork and chill for 15–20 minutes, then bake blind for 15–20 minutes. The pastry will puff up but keep an eye on it and push it down now and again.
3. Fry the leeks in the olive oil for 2–3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Beat the eggs with the cream and season, then pour over the baked pastry. Top with the leeks and cheeses.
4. Place the tart case onto a baking tray, then bake for 40–50 minutes, or until golden brown and set but slightly wobbly in the middle. Set aside to cool slightly, then serve at room temperature with the jammy blueberries and onions. It’s also delicious with a lemon-and-olive oil-dressed watercress-and-rocket salad.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen