- 8 free-range chicken portions
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 150-250 g whole baby carrots, peeled
- 150-250 g whole baby turnips, scrubbed
- 150-250 g whole baby parsnips, peeled
- 150-250 g baby leeks, split lengthways
- Handful of fresh thyme
- Sea salt and milled black pepper, to taste
- On the side:
- Thick garlic mayonnaise (optional)
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
In a flameproof casserole, first brown the chicken portions in the hot oil. Remove and season.Reduce the heat and stir in the onion and celery, adding a little salt and a little more oil if necessary.
Cook gently until softened. Pour in the stock and wine and bring to a bubble. Add the chicken, prepared vegetables and thyme.Cover with a sheet or two of oiled greaseproof paper and the tight-fitting lid.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until all is tender.Check seasoning.
Serve in wide bowls, withspoons for the broth. If you like, add a dollop of mayonnaise.