- 45 g organic butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100 g finely grated organic Italian Parmesan
- 3 T organic flour
- 1½ cups organic full-cream milk, warmed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 organic egg yolks
- 200 g coarsely grated organic Cheddar cheese
- 1 t organic mustard
- 6 organic egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 300 g organic baby plum tomatoes, halved
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Butter four shallow, ovenproof soup bowls. Sprinkle a spoonful of Parmesan into each. In a saucepan, heat the butter and, once melted, stir in the flour until smooth.
Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the warmed milk. Season. Return to the stove and cook, whisking continuously, until smooth and thick, and beginning to boil.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in the Cheddar and mustard then fold in the beaten egg white.
Spoon into the prepared soup bowls. Stud with the tomato halves and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden, then reduce the heat to 180°C and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until set.
Per serving: 2143.6 kJ, 27.7 g protein, 39.5 g fat, 12.7 g carbs
Although it comes with a lot less drama than the traditional high-rise version, this souffl é is equally delicious. We added the gorgeous organic baby plum tomatoes that are so readily available, but other seasonal vegetables would be just as good.