- 1 kg free-range chicken pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1½ t salt
- 2 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced (or 1 t crushed dried chilli)
- 1 t garlic, crushed
- 1 x 70 g can tomato paste
- fresh coriander, a handful, to garnish
- rice and sambals, for serving
Braise the chicken pieces, onions and salt in a little water over a high heat until browned. Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomato is the consistency of a paste.
Add the sugar, chillies and garlic, and cook over a medium heat until most of the liquid is reduced. Taste and add more sugar, if necessary, to give it more tang.
Stir the tomato paste into 1 cup water, then add to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes then serve with the rice and sambals, and garnish with coriander.
Cook's note: In Bo-Kaap Kitchen (Quivertree), Shireen Narkedien gives a recipe for tomato bredie using chicken, a nice, lighter variation. Shireen is a specialist on the Bo-Kaap and has been involved in tourism for 19 years. ‘Everything to do with Bo-Kaap history and cooking is close to my heart,’ she says.