- 500 g free-range beef mince
- 4 ripe tomatoes finely diced
- 1 grated onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 T worcester sauce
- 1 T brown vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T garlic cloves thinly sliced
- cos lettuce leaves, for serving
- tomato and red onion salsa, for serving
- chermoula paste, for dipping
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Combine the mince, tomato, onion, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcester sauce and brown vinegar.
Season to taste, then mould the mixture into large balls. Place a nonstick pan over a medium to high heat and add the olive oil.
When hot, fry the garlic and frikkadels, until the latter are browned on all sides.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until firm and cooked through.
Serve nestled in crisp cos lettuce leaves with a tomato-and-red onion salsa and a small bowl of chermoula paste, for dipping, on the side.
Cook’s note: Chermoula is a fragrant spiced paste available from selected Woolworths stores and delis. Read more about chermoula in our glossary