- 2-3 ClemenGold® mandarins
- 2-3 T honey
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 t vanilla paste
- 225 g marzipan
- 200 g caster sugar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 t baking powder
- 145 g flour
- ½ t salt
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Grease a 20 cm springform cake tin. Slice the ClemenGolds thinly, skin and all, then caramelise in batches on both sides in a dry, non-stick pan for 1–2 minutes, or until just catching. Arrange in the bottom of the cake tin in an even layer. Drizzle over the honey and set aside. Keep the syrup in the pan for drizzling over the cake.
2. Whisk together the eggs and vanilla paste. Place the marzipan in a food processor and pulse to break it up, then add the sugar and blend again until it resembles the texture of fine sand, about 1–2 minutes.
3. Add the canola oil in a steady stream while the food processor is running. Once all the oil has been incorporated, add the egg mixture one spoonful at a time, blending after each addition.
4. Remove the bowl and blade from the machine, then fold in the dry ingredients in three batches, mixing gently between additions.
5. Spread over the ClemenGolds and bake for 40 minutes, then turn up the oven to 180°C and bake for a further 1 –20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 1 hour, then carefully invert onto a serving platter. Drizzle with the ClemenGold syrup and serve.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismael
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Lerato Motau
ClemenGold® mandarins are virtually seedless, juicy and easy to peel, with an unmistakable sweet flavour. They're perfect for a quick snack on the go or a sweet addition to any recipe. Find them exclusively in Woolworths stores.