- 400-500 g chicken fillets
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 stalk lemon grass, smashed
- 1 chilli, split lengthways
- 150 ml fish sauce
- For the salad
- 2 baby green cabbages, sliced
- 250 ml shredded carrots
- 6 salad onions, thinly sliced
- 125 ml shredded Vietnamese mint
- 65 ml roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves
- For the Vietnamese dressing
- 15 ml rice vinegar
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 45 ml fresh lime juice
- 45 ml fish sauce
- 1-2 fresh red chillis, chopped and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 45 ml peanut oil
Place the chicken in a saucepan with the stock and flavouring.
Bring to the boil, cover tightly, turn off the heat and leave to cook and cool in the hot broth.
Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing. Combine the salad ingredients and top with the shredded chicken and dressing.
This cold salad goes surprisingly well with a bowl of hot, steamed fragrant rice. Pack any leftover salad to take to work the following day.