- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 T sunflower oil
- 400–500 g skinless free-range thigh fillets
- 100 g walnuts, roasted and ground
- 1-2 cardamom seeds, smashed
- 3 cups pomegranate juice
- sea salt
- a pinch of sugar
- 2-3 T Cooks Essentials pomegranate-and-apple
- glaze (optional)
- fresh pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- basmati rice, steamed, for serving
Gently soften the onion in the oil until pale golden. Add the chicken pieces and fry until they change colour.
Stir in the walnut, cardamom, pomegranate juice and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is very tender and the sauce thickened.
If the sauce fails to thicken sufficiently, remove the chicken using a slotted spoon and keep warm, then reduce the sauce over a high heat, stirring often.
Add the sugar and lemon juice, checking the sweet-sour balance and adjusting accordingly.
Add the pomegranate-and-apple glaze, if using, then spoon the chicken pieces together with the sauce onto four plates and sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds.
Serve with steamed basmati rice.
Per serving: 2712.7 KJ, 31.7 g protein, 28.4 g fat, 64.4 g carbs