- 1x 250 g tub plain full-cream cream cheese
- 2 t lime or lemon zest
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g cold-smoked rainbow trout ribbons
- 4 slices rye bread, toasted
- 4 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced, for serving
- lime or lemon wedges, for serving
View this post on Instagram
1. To make the zesty black pepper cream cheese, combine smooth, plain cream cheese with the lime or lemon zest and a generous amount of black pepper. Taste, and adjust the seasoning if needed.
2. Cut the trout ribbons into strips of equal size, then fold over into little rainbows, so they all look the same.
3. Using a palette knife, smear a bit of the cream cheese mixture on each slice of toast, place a trout rainbow next to it, and repeat to create a checkerboard pattern.
4. Slot thin slices of cucumber in between in a grid-like fashion.
5. Squeeze over fresh lime or lemon, and enjoy.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Gooderson