- for the basic meringue
- 4 free-range egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 50 g flaked almonds
- for the filling
- 1 tin Caramel treat
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- white chocolate, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 43 x 29 cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt until foamy.
3. Gradually add the caster sugar and beat until the mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form.
4. Spread the meringue mixture evenly over the tray and sprinkle with the flaked almonds. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden. Reduce the temperature to 140°C and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
5. Remove the meringue from the oven and turn out the roulade, almond side down, on a sheet of baking paper. Remove the baking paper from the tray and allow to cool for a few minutes.
6. To make the filling, combine the caramel and whipped cream and spread evenly over the meringue. Roll
up the meringue from one side to form a roulade. Sprinkle with grated white chocolate to serve.
Cook's note: If you prefer, you can also fill the roulade with a tahini paste mixture. Combine 200 g condensed milk and 3 T tahini paste, spread over 1 cup of double-thick yoghurt, then swirl with the tahini mixture before rolling