- 1 medium-sized cauliflower
- 1 T lemon juice
- 3 T butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 T flour
- 1 cup full-cream milk, warmed
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 150 g Plettenberger Cheddar cheese
- 125 g waferthin chargrilled ham, torn
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 x 20 cm pancakes in diameter (ready-made or home-made)
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Separate the cauliflower into florets. Simmer in 2 cups lightly salted water, flavoured with the lemon juice, for 12 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and set aside, reserving ½ cup of the cauliflower water.
Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Whisk in the fl our until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cauliflower water and milk until smooth. Return to the stove and cook, whisking, until thick and smooth. Remove from the heat.
Lightly beat the egg yolks, then gradually beat into the thickened milk mixture. Stir in 125 g grated cheese. Beat the egg whites until stiff , then fold into the cheese sauce. Gently fold in the steamed cauliflower and torn ham and season.
Place a large spoonful of cauliflower mixture in the centre of each pancake, then roll it up. Place in a greased baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Spoon over the cream and bake for 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.