“Every time I make this broth, I think of my Koko’s kitchen”
- 1½ kg beef bones
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 t ginger, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the bones on a baking tray, drizzle with the oil and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Place the bones in a large saucepan, then add the vinegar and enough water to cover. Add the vegetables and season.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to its lowest setting and simmer for 8 hours, topping up with water when necessary. Skim off any foam that collects on the surface. The broth is ready when it’s a rich golden brown colour and any meat is falling off the bones.
4. Strain into a container and discard the bones. Allow to cool completely, then freeze in portions.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food Assistant: Leila-ann Mokate