- For the vanilla base:
- 9 free-range egg yolks
- 200 g sugar
- 1 T vanilla paste
- 4 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- For the ice cream:
- 1 batch vanilla ice-cream base
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 T golden syrup
- 2 Crunchies, roughly chopped
To make the vanilla ice-cream base:
1. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract using an electric mixer until pale. This aerates the eggs and makes for a lighter, fluffier ice cream.
2. Combine the egg-yolk mixture with the cream and milk, then pour into a saucepan. Cook over a low to medium heat until thickened. Alternatively, cook in a doubleboiler.
3. Allow the mixture to cool, then churn in an ice-cream machine until ready to serve. Makes 2 litres
To make the Caramelised banana-and-crunchie ice cream:
1. Make the ice-cream base.
2. Caramelise the bananas in a pan in the golden syrup over a high heat for 4 minutes. Mash the bananas using a fork and allow to cool.
3. Fold the cooled bananas and Crunchies
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Keletso Motau