- For the pâté:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 orange, zested
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 250 g tubs free-range chicken livers, rinsed
- 2 T sherry
- ½ cup cream
- 200 g butter, cubed
- 1 kg Woolworths Eureka Mills roosterkoek mix
1. Fry the onions, thyme and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the orange zest and season, then add the chicken livers and brown for 6–8 minutes over a high heat. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Blend the cooled livers until smooth, then deglaze the pan with the sherry and add the cream. Pour into the blender with the smooth chicken livers and blend again to incorporate. Add 120 g butter to the blender a little at a time while the blender is running to combine evenly.
3. Divide the pâté between 2 bowls and smooth the top. Melt the remaining butter and pour over the top of the pâté. Chill for 6 hours or overnight to set before serving.
4. To make the breadsticks, preheat the oven to 180°C. Make the dough according to package instructions. Once the dough has proved, knock it back and cut into golf-ball-sized portions. Roughly stretch each portion, cut in half lengthways and twist the two strands together. Place on a greased tray and brush with olive oil, sprinkle with seeds or grated cheese, or spread with pesto and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 30–35 minutes. Serve with the pâté.
Photographs: Andrea Van Der Spuy
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira