“This is so good drizzled with brown butter for extra richness. Adding a dash of soya sauce to the mushrooms and allowing it to caramelise just before adding the cream gives a delicious umami boost.” – Hannah Lewry
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 x 400 g pack Woolworths chicken bangers
- 250 g Woolworths sliced portabellini mushrooms
- 3 T soya sauce
- 2 cups cream
- 500 g Woolworths fresh fettuccine pasta
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 300 g Brussels sprouts, shredded
- Parmesan, grated, for serving
1. Heat a large saucepan and drizzle with olive oil. Cut the ends off the sausages, pinch bite-sized pieces of sausage meat from the casings and place into the pan. Cook in batches if necessary. Fry until golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan.
2. In the same pan, fry the mushrooms in more olive oil until golden, then deglaze the pan with the soya sauce. Add the cream.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving the pasta water. Add half a ladleful of the pasta water to the sauce and reduce until thickened.
4. Add the hot pasta and Brussels sprouts to the sauce and toss to coat, adding more pasta water if necessary. Top with the cooked sausage meat and serve with the Parmesan.
Cook's note: If you like, use Woolworths’ readymade chicken frikkadels instead of chicken bangers.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen