- 4 egg whites
- salt, a pinch
- 200 g caster sugar
- 50 g dark chocolate, melted
- For the chocolate sauce:
- 200 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cream
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C and and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt until foamy.
3. Gradually add the caster sugar and beat until the mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form.
4. Gently swirl the melted dark chocolate through the meringue mixture. Using a large spoon, spoon the meringue mixture onto the lined baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes, or until set on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside.
5. To make the chocolate sauce, place the chocolate in a bowl and heat the cream until simmering. Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate has melted and the ganache is smooth.
6. Serve the meringues with the chocolate sauce.
Cook's note: Use any leftover meringue to make snowdrops: pipe small dots and bake for 30 minutes.