- 500 g sweet potato, finely diced
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 80 g black beans, cooked until soft
- 150 g chorizo, cubed
- 75 g chickpea flour
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 t baking powder
- For the chipotle-chive mayonnaise:
- 2 t chives, chopped
- 1 t Woolworths chipotle seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 T white wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Rub the sweet potato with the olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 12 minutes, or until soft and slightly caramelised.
Place in a bowl with the black beans, chorizo, chickpea our, eggs and baking powder and mix. Heat a little olive oil in a pan and cook spoonfuls of batter for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside and keep warm.
To make the mayo, place all the ingredients except the oil in a blender and blitz until completely combined. Slowly add the oil in a thin, steady stream until the mayonnaise has thickened. Check the seasoning. Serve with the hot fritters and a fresh salad.
Cook's note: These delicious fritters are a quick and creative addition to lunchboxes. The chipotle-and-chive mayo is great for dipping crudités and adds a massive hit of smokiness to the dish. Turn it into a light lunch by adding well-dressed salad leaves and lime wedges.