- 3 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leeks bunch, thickly sliced
- 1 carrots bunch, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 turnips bunch, peeled and quartered
- 1 parsnips bunch, peeled and thickly sliced
- 500 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 350 g potatoes, peeled and halved or quartered
- 1 cauliflower, broken into large florets
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups Vegetable stock
- Cooked pearl barley, for serving
- For the burnt sage butter:
- 100 g butter
- Sage leaves a handful
Slowly cook the onion and celery in the olive oil until meltingly tender, adding more oil if necessary. Stir in the garlic. Add the vegetables, placing the cauliflower on top, and season.
Pour in the stock, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender, adding more stock if necessary. Serve in big bowls over the barley and spoon over the hot sage butter.
To make the burnt sage butter, heat the butter in a pan until it begins to foam. Add the sage leaves and cook until the butter is brown and the sage leaves are crisp.