“I love the way the sauce falls into the pockets of the shells. They’re also great stuffed with creamed spinach and ricotta and baked in a tomato sauce.” – Abigail Donnelly
- 4 T olive oil
- 4 T butter, plus 60 g
- 400 g large brown mushrooms, torn into quarters
- 1 T garlic, crushed
- 2 cups cream
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 150 g Woolworths diced wood-smoked bacon, fried until crispy
- 100 g pecorino, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400 g Woolworths conchiglie, cooked al dente
1. Heat half the oil and 4 T butter in a pan. Cook half the mushrooms, then set aside. Cook the remaining mushrooms.
2. Place all the mushrooms in the pan and add the garlic and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining butter and the thyme in a small pan and simmer until golden brown, about a minute. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
4. Divide the pasta between bowls and spoon over the sauce. Scatter over the bacon and cheese and season to taste. Spoon over the browned butter.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen and Tahila Pillay