- 2 x 349 g cartons Woolworths extra-firm tofu
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- ½ cup soya sauce
- 1 T ginger, grated
- 200 g panko breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- Ingredients aren't specified.
- 1 T oil
- onion, diced
- 1 T garlic, grated
- 1 T fresh ginger, grated
- 1 t fresh turmeric, minced
- 1 T garam masala
- apple, grated
- 3 t soya sauce
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 ml can coconut cream
1. Cut each piece of tofu into 6 pieces. Mix the eggs with soya sauce and ginger. Carefully dip the tofu into the egg mixture, then toss in the panko crumbs.
2. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and fry the tofu in batches until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
3. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat until soft, then add the garlic, ginger, turmeric and garam masala. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve in bowls topped with the crunchy tofu.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom