- For the dressing:
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T white balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Sea salt a large pinch
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 T sunflower oil
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 T Italian parsley chopped
- For the salad:
- 140 g broad beans, shelled
- 180 g fine green beans, trimmed
- 1 large cos lettuce (or 2 small), torn
- 3 baby gem lettuces, leaves left whole
- 3 T caperberries
- 80 g paper thin sliced coppa, crisped and crumbled
- Italian parsley a few sprigs, torn
To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients until combined.
To make the salad, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and blanch the broad beans for a few minutes, until tender. remove using a slotted spoon. add the green beans and simmer for 5 minutes, or until tender crisp. drain. mix half the dressing with the warm vegetables and set aside.
Before serving, toss the cos and gem lettuce with the remaining dressing. turn onto a platter. Top with the dressed green vegetables, sprinkle with the caperberries, coppa and parsley.
Chef's note: The coppa is not essential but it adds crunch and extra flavour. Paper-thin sliced streaky bacon works well too, and so does pancetta.