- 100 g Lindt 70% chocolate
- Woolworths edible gold shimmer, to decorate
1. Break the chocolate into 20 squares. Place one square in each mould of mini-muffin pans lined with baking paper.
2. Place in the oven at 50°C for about 5 minutes, or until melted. If necessary, smooth evenly using a small spatula. Allow to cool and set. Remove from the pans and peel off the paper.
3. Dust with edible gold shimmer.
Cook's note: Giving gifts of money (gelt) has been a tradition since the 17th century. It began with parents giving gelt to teachers, then later to children as a reward for Torah study. Today the ‘gelt’ is made of gold and silver foil-wrapped chocolate coins packed in small pouches reminiscent of money bags. You can buy chocolate coins but it’s easy to make chocolate discs at home and dust with edible gold or silver shimmer.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Nicola Naude