- For the pork belly:
- 100 g brown sugar, plus 3 T
- 40 g salt, plus 2 t
- 1.5 kg Woolworths pork bone-in belly
- 2 small gem lettuces, for serving
- For the ginger spring onion sauce:
- 100 g spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T soya sauce
- 1 t sherry vinegar
- ½ t salt
- For the ssam sauce, mix:
- 2 T Woolworths Mamma O’s Premium Super Spicy Pepper Paste
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Mix 100 g sugar and 40 g salt. Place the pork in a large, shallow dish and rub the mixture all over the meat. Cover with clingwrap and chill overnight.
Preheat the oven to 150°C. Remove the pork from the fridge and discard any juices. Place the pork in a roasting pan and roast for 6 hours, basting every hour with the pan juices. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
When you’re ready to serve, preheat the oven to 240°C. Mix the remaining sugar and salt. Rub the mixture over the cooked pork. Place in the oven for 10–15 minutes, or until a dark caramel crust has developed. Serve hot with the sauces and gem lettuce.
Cook's note: Try this cross between Korean bo ssam – pork with rice and kimchi wrapped in greens – and a southeast Asian larb – ground meat served with rice and raw veg in lettuce wraps. Slow roast a whole bone-in pork belly, then slice and serve with little gem lettuce leaves.